ᐃᓄᐃᑦ ᑕᕐᕆᔮᓕᐊᓄᑦ ᐊᒻᒪᓗ ᑕᕐᕆᔮᔅᓴᓄᑦ ᑐᖅᑯᐃᕕᒃ
The Inuit Broadcasting Corporation (IBC) maintains a collection of approximately 40 years of priceless historic film and video material. It involves an estimated 9000 hours of footage and completed programs valued at approximately $60 million dollars.
Since the 1970s, our videographers have been recording the beginning of a whole new stage in Inuit history; and they are doing it from the inside – from an Inuit perspective. They have captured the transition from dog teams to digital phones; they chronicled the division of the territories, the creation of key national Inuit organizations, the concept and signing of Inuit land claims, the creation of Nunavut, and the evolution of a new political, socio-cultural environment – their archived work represents a period that is absolutely unique in history.
Vision for the Inuit Film and Video Archives (IFVA)
A place where IBC’s collection, and ultimately portions of the collections of other holders of Inuit film and video, can be:
- preserved through digitization,
- physically and electronically protected,
- managed by a trained archivist,
- promoted publicly,
- accessible and searchable through an Internet portal, and
- sustainably and frequently used for educational and other purposes.
The IFVA Procedures, which are under development, are available upon request to firstname.lastname@example.org
Access to the Collection
You can access the IFVA in the following ways:
- Watch a variety of IBC’s past programs (over 1200) at the following locations: IBC (video descriptions), IBC-2, Takuginai Web Series 1 , Takuginai Web Series 2, Takuginai Educator Series, and Pituqait Series at Isuma.TV and on the IBC channel on YouTube.
- Watch more of IBC’s programs at APTN.ca.
- Visit the Nunavut Media Arts Centre in Iqaluit, Nunavut to consult the Archivist (Gerry Philip) and use the public computer to search the video catalogue and/or view digital videos (free). These services are also available at IBC’s Ottawa office by request to email@example.com.
- Submit a search request for a specific program (first 2 hours free), and a copy ($) – Request form.
Acknowledgements We would like to thank the following for their financial contributions towards the development of the IFVA:
- Government of Canada – Gouvernement du Canada
- Government of Nunavut
- Kakivak Association
- Nunavut Tunngavik Inc.
- Pairijait Tigumivik Society
- Nunavut Film Development Corporation
- Kitikmeot Inuit Association
- Foundation for Endangered Languages.
We would also like to thank the IFVA Advisory Committee and their organizations for the gift of their time and ideas and on-going support.
ᐃᓄᐃᑦ ᑕᑯᓐᓇᕋᒃᓴᓕᕆᔨᑦ ᑲᓇᑕᒥ (IBC) ᒥᐊᓂᕆᔭᖃᕐᒪᑕ ᑲᑎᖅᓱᒐᖏᓐᓂᑦ ᐊᕐᕌᒍᓄᑦ 40-ᓄᑦ ᑕᑯᕋᓐᓈᒐᓕᐊᒥᓂᖏᑦ ᐊᒻᒪᓗ ᑕᕐᕆᔮᔅᓴᓂᑦ. ᑕᑯᕋᓐᓈᒐᔅᓴᑦ ᐃᓗᓕᖃᖅᐳᑦ ᐃᑲᕐᕋᓂᑦ 9,000-ᓄᑦ ᐊᒻᒪᓗ ᐱᔭᕇᔭᖅᑕᐅᓯᒪᔪᑦ ᑕᑯᕋᓐᓈᒐᑦ ᐊᑭᖃᓪᓗᐊᖅᑐᑎ $6 ᒥᓕᐊᓂᑦ.
1970-ᖏᓐᓂᑦ ᐱᒋᐊᖅᑐᑎ, ᑕᕐᕆᔮᔅᓴᓕᐅᖅᑏᑦ ᑕᕐᕆᔮᓕᐅᖅᓯᒪᕗᑦ ᓂᐱᓕᐅᕆᓯᒪᕗᑦ ᐃᓄᐃᑦ ᐱᕙᓪᓕᐊᓕᕐᓂᖏᓐᓂᑦ; ᐊᒻᒪᓗ ᐃᓄᐃᑦ ᑕᕝᕙᐅᓪᓗᑎ ᐊᔾᔨᓕᐅᕆᓯᒪᕗᑦ — ᐃᓄᐃᑦ ᐃᓱᒪᔾᔪᓯᖏᑎᒍᑦ. ᐊᔾᔨᓕᐅᕆᓯᒪᓂᖏᑦ ᐊᑯᖅᓯᓯᒪᕗᑦ ᕿᒧᔅᓯᖃᑦᑕᖅᑐᒥᓂᕐᓂᑦ ᑎᑭᐅᑎᓪᓗᑎ ᐅᖄᓚᐅᑎᕋᓛᖃᓕᖅᑎᓪᓗᒋᑦ; ᐊᕕᑦᑎᓪᓗᒋᒃ ᓄᓇᕗᒃᑯᒃ ᓄᓇᑦᓯᐊᕐᒥᑦ, ᑲᓇᑕᓗᑦᑖᒥᑦ ᐃᓄᐃᑦ ᑲᑐᔾᔨᖃᑎᒌᖏᑦ ᐱᓐᖑᖅᑎᑕᐅᑎᓪᓗᒋᑦ, ᐃᓱᒪᔾᔪᑕᐅᓯᒪᔪᑦ ᐃᓄᓐᓄᑦ ᓄᓇᑖᕈᑎᖓᑦ ᐊᑎᓕᐅᖅᑕᐅᑎᓪᓗᒍ, ᓄᓇᕗᑦ ᐱᓐᖑᖅᑎᓪᓗᒍ, ᐊᒻᒪᓗ ᒐᕙᒪᑖᖅᐸᓪᓕᐊᑎᓪᓗᒋᑦ, ᐊᕙᑎᑦᑎᓐᓂᑦ ᐃᓄᓕᕆᓂᒃᑯᑦ ᐱᖅᑯᓯᓕᕆᓂᒃᑯᑦ ᐱᕙᓪᓕᐊᓕᖅᑎᓪᓗᒋᑦ — ᑐᖅᑯᖅᑕᐅᓯᒪᔪᑦ ᐊᑐᖅᓯᒪᔪᓂᑦ ᐃᖅᑲᓇᐃᔮᖏᑦ ᐊᔾᔨᐅᖏᑦᑑᕗᑦ.
ᑕᑯᓐᓇᒐᕆᔭᖅ ᐃᓄᓐᓄᑦ ᑕᑯᕋᓐᓈᒐᕐᓂᑦ ᐊᒻᒪᓗ ᑕᕐᕆᔮᓂᑦ ᑐᖅᑯᐃᕕᒻᒧᑦ
ᐃᓂᖃᕐᕕᐅᔪᖅ ᐃᓄᐃᑦ ᑕᑯᓐᓇᕋᒃᓴᓕᕆᔨᑦ ᑲᓇᑕᒥ ᑲᑎᖅᓱᒐᖏᑦ, ᐊᓯᖏᓐᓄᓪᓗ ᐃᓛᑎᒍᑦ ᑲᑎᖅᓱᒐᕆᔭᑦ ᑎᒍᒥᐊᖅᑎᐅᔪᓄᑦ ᐃᓄᓐᓂᑦ ᑕᑯᕋᓐᓈᒐᑦ ᐊᒻᒪᓗ ᑕᕐᕆᔮᑦ ᐃᒪᐃᑦᑐᓐᓇᖅᐳᑦ:
- ᐸᐸᓐᓂᐊᖅᑕᐅᖁᓪᓗᒋᑦ ᖃᕋᓴᐅᔭᒃᑰᓕᖓᓕᖅᑎᓪᓗᒋᑦ,
- ᑕᐅᑦᑐᒃᑯᑦ ᐊᒻᒪᓗ ᖃᕋᓴᐅᔭᒃᑯᑎᒍᑦ ᓴᐳᑎᓗᒋᑦ,
- ᒥᐊᓂᕆᔭᐅᓗᑎ ᐃᓕᓐᓂᐊᖅᓯᒪᔪᒧᑦ ᑐᖅᑯᐃᔨᒧᑦ,
- ᐃᓄᓕᒫᓄᑦ ᓴᖅᑭᐅᒪᑎᓪᓗᒋᑦ,
- ᐊᑐᐃᓐᓇᐅᑎᓪᓗᒋᑦ ᐊᒻᒪᓗ ᕿᓂᕋᔅᓴᐅᓗᑎ ᐃᑭᐊᖅᑭᔾᔪᑦ ᑐᑦᑕᕕᖓᑎᒍᑦ, ᐊᒻᒪᓗ
- ᐊᑐᐃᓐᓇᐅᒪᐃᓐᓇᕐᓗᑎ ᐊᒻᒪᓗ ᖃᑯᑎᒃᑯᑦ ᐃᓕᓐᓂᐊᕈᑕᐅᕙᓪᓗᑎ ᐊᒻᒪᓗ ᐊᓯᖏᓐᓄᑦ ᐊᑑᑎᖃᖅᐸᓪᓗᑎ.
ᐃᓄᐃᑦ ᑕᑯᕋᓐᓈᒐᑦ ᐊᒻᒪᓗ ᑕᕐᕆᔮᑦ ᑐᖅᑯᐃᕕᖓᓂᑦ ᑎᒍᓯᕕᒋᔪᓐᓇᖅᐸᑎᑦ ᓇᓕᐊᒍᑦ ᐅᑯᑎᑐᓇ:
- ᕿᒥᕐᕈᓗᒋᑦ ᐃᓄᐃᑦ ᑕᑯᓐᓇᕋᒃᓴᓕᕆᔨᒃᑯᑦ ᑲᓇᑕᒥ ᐃᖏᕐᕋᑎᑕᒐᓕᐊᕆᓯᒪᔭᖏᑦ (500-ᖑᔪᑦ) ᐃᓄᐃᑦ ᑕᑯᓐᓇᕋᒃᓴᓕᕆᔨᒃᑯᑦ ᑲᓇᑕᒥ ᐃᓱᒪ ᑕᓚᕖᓴᒃᑯᖏᑎᒍᑦ: www.Isuma.TV/IBC – www.isuma.tv/takuginai-web-series – YouTube
- ᐃᓄᐃᑦ ᑕᑯᓐᓇᕋᒃᓴᓕᕆᔨᒃᑯᑦ ᑲᓇᑕᒥ ᑕᑯᕋᓐᓈᕐᓗᒋᑦ ᓄᑖᖑᓂᖅᓴᐃᑦ ᓄᓇᖃᖅᑳᖅᑐᑦ ᑕᓚᕖᓴᒃᑯᖏᑎᒍᑦ, www.APTN.ca/shows/.
- ᐅᐸᓪᓗᒍ ᓄᓇᕗᒻᒥᑦ ᑐᓴᒐᒃᓴᕐᓂᐊᕐᕕᒃᓴᖅ ᐊᒻᒪᓗ ᑕᑯᕋᓐᓈᒐᕐᓄᑦ ᐅᐸᑲᖅᑕᕐᕕᒃ ᐃᖃᓗᓐᓂᑦ, ᓄᓇᕗᒻᒥᑦ ᑐᖅᑯᐃᔨ ᖃᐅᔨᒋᐊᕐᕕᒋᓗᒍ, ᑭᒃᑯᑐᐃᓐᓇᕐᓅᖓᔪᑦ ᖃᕋᓴᐅᔭᖅ ᐊᑐᕐᓗᒍ ᕿᓂᔭᓪᓗᑎᑦ ᑕᕐᕆᔮᑦ ᑎᑎᖅᑐᐃᕕᖏᑎᒍᑦ ᐅᕝᕙᓗᑭᐊᖅ ᖃᕋᓴᐅᔭᒃᑯᑦ ᑕᕐᕆᔮᑦ ᐊᓚᒃᑲᐅᒪᔪᑦ (ᐊᑭᖃᓐᖏᑦᑐᑦ).
- ᑐᓂᕐᕈᑎᖃᕐᓗᑎᑦ ᕿᓂᕈᑎᒥ ᑐᔅᓯᕋᐅᑎᒥᑦ ᐃᖏᕐᕋᑎᑕᒐᓕᐊᖑᓯᒪᔪᒥᑦ (ᐊᑭᖃᓐᖏᑦᑐᒧᑦ), ᐊᒻᒪᓗ ᐊᔾᔨᓕᐊᖑᒃᑲᕐᓗᒍ (ᐊᑭᓕᒻᒧᑦ). ᑐᔅᓯᕋᐅᑎ ᑕᑕᑎᕆᔾᔪᑦ
ᖃᐅᔨᒪᔾᔪᑎ: 2016-ᒥᑦ 2017-ᒧᑦ, ᐃᓄᐃᑦ ᑕᑯᓐᓇᕋᒃᓴᓕᕆᔨᒃᑯᑦ ᑲᓇᑕᒥ ᐅᐸᓗᖓᐃᔭᕈᑎᖃᖅᑯᑦ ᓴᖅᑮᓛᖅᑐᑎ ᖃᕋᓴᐅᔭᒃᑯᑦ ᐴᖅᑐᐃᕕᒻᒥᑦ ᕿᓂᕈᑕᐅᖃᑦᑕᕈᒫᖅᑐᖅ ᑎᑎᖅᑐᖅᑕᐅᓯᒪᔪᓂᑦ ᐊᒻᒪᓗ ᑕᕐᕆᔮᓂᑦ ᕿᒥᕐᕈᔾᔪᑎᒥᑦ.
ᐃᓕᓴᖅᓯᔾᔪᑎ ᖁᔭᒋᔪᒪᕙᕗᑦ ᐅᑯᐊ ᑮᓇᐅᔭᖃᖅᑎᑦᑎᓂᖏᓐᓄᑦ ᐱᓐᖑᖅᐸᓪᓕᐊᓕᖅᑎᓪᓗᒍ ᐃᓄᐃᑦ ᑕᑯᕋᓐᓈᒐᑦ ᐊᒻᒪᓗ ᑕᕐᕆᔮᖅ ᑐᖅᑯᐃᕕᖓᑦ:
- ᑲᓇᑕᒥ ᒐᕙᒪᑐᖃᒃᑯᑦ
- ᓄᓇᕗᑦ ᒐᕙᒪᖓᑦ
- ᑲᑎᕙᒃ ᑲᑐᔾᔨᖃᑎᒌᖓᑦ
- ᑲᑐᔾᔨᖃᑎᒌᑦ ᐅᖃᐅᓯᕐᓄᑦ ᐊᓯᐅᒋᐊᑭᑦᑐᓄᑦ
ᖁᔭᒋᔪᒪᕙᕗᓪᓗ ᐃᓄᐃᑦ ᑕᑯᕋᓐᓈᒐᑦ ᐊᒻᒪᓗ ᑕᕐᕆᔮᑦ ᑐᖅᑯᐃᕕᒻᒧᑦ ᑲᑎᒪᔨᕋᓛᖏᑦ ᐊᒻᒪᓗ ᑲᑐᔾᔨᖃᑎᒌᖏᑦ ᐱᕕᖃᖅᑎᑦᑎᓯᒪᓂᖏᓐᓂᑦ , ᐃᓱᒪᔅᓴᖅᓯᐅᕈᑎᒋᓯᒪᔭᖏᓐᓄᑦ ᐊᒻᒪᓗ ᐃᑲᔪᖅᑐᐃᖏᓐᓇᕐᓂᖏᓐᓄᑦ.