ᐃᓄᐃᑦ ᑕᕐᕆᔮᓕᐊᓄᑦ ᐊᒻᒪᓗ ᑕᕐᕆᔮᔅᓴᓄᑦ ᑐᖅᑯᐃᕕᒃ
The Inuit Broadcasting Corporation (IBC) maintains a collection of approximately 40 years of priceless historic film and video material. It involves an estimated 9,000 hours of footage and completed programs valued at approximately $60 million dollars.
Since the 1970s, our videographers have been recording the beginning of a whole new stage in Inuit history; and they are doing it from the inside – from an Inuit perspective. They have captured the transition from dog teams to digital phones; they chronicled the division of the territories, the creation of key national Inuit organizations, the concept and signing of Inuit land claims, the creation of Nunavut, and the evolution of a new political, socio-cultural environment – their archived work represents a period that is absolutely unique in history.
Vision for the Inuit Film and Video Archives (IFVA)
A place where IBC’s collection, and ultimately portions of the collections of other holders of Inuit film and video, can be:
- preserved through digitization,
- physically and electronically protected,
- managed by a trained archivist,
- promoted publicly,
- accessible and searchable through an Internet portal, and
- sustainably and frequently used for educational and other purposes.
The IFVA Procedures, which are under development, are available upon request to email@example.com
Access to the Collection
You can access the IFVA in the following ways:
- Watch a variety of IBC’s past programs (over 1200) at the following locations: IBC (video descriptions), IBC-2, IBC-3, Takuginai Web Series 1 , Takuginai Web Series 2, Takuginai Educator Series, and Pituqait Series at Isuma.TV and on the IBC channel on YouTube.
- Watch more of IBC’s programs at APTN.ca.
- Visit the Nunavut Media Arts Centre in Iqaluit, Nunavut to consult the Archivist (Gerry Philip) and use the public computer to search the video catalogue and/or view digital videos (free). These services are also available at IBC’s Ottawa office by request to firstname.lastname@example.org.
- Submit a search request for a specific program (first 2 hours free), and a copy ($) – Request form.
Acknowledgements We would like to thank the following for their financial contributions towards the development of the IFVA:
- Government of Canada – Gouvernement du Canada
- Government of Nunavut
- Kakivak Association
- Nunavut Tunngavik Inc.
- Pairijait Tigumivik Society
- Nunavut Film Development Corporation
- Kitikmeot Inuit Association
- Foundation for Endangered Languages.
We would also like to thank the IFVA Advisory Committee and their organizations for the gift of their time, ideas and support.
ᐃᓄᐃᑦ ᑕᑯᓐᓇᕋᒃᓴᓕᕆᔨᑦ ᑲᓇᑕᒥ (IBC) ᒥᐊᓂᕆᔭᖃᕐᒪᑕ ᑲᑎᖅᓱᒐᖏᓐᓂᑦ ᐊᕐᕌᒍᓄᑦ 40-ᓄᑦ ᑕᑯᕋᓐᓈᒐᓕᐊᒥᓂᖏᑦ ᐊᒻᒪᓗ ᑕᕐᕆᔮᔅᓴᓂᑦ. ᑕᑯᕋᓐᓈᒐᔅᓴᑦ ᐃᓗᓕᖃᖅᐳᑦ ᐃᑲᕐᕋᓂᑦ 9,000-ᓄᑦ ᐊᒻᒪᓗ ᐱᔭᕇᔭᖅᑕᐅᓯᒪᔪᑦ ᑕᑯᕋᓐᓈᒐᑦ ᐊᑭᖃᓪᓗᐊᖅᑐᑎ $6 ᒥᓕᐊᓂᑦ.
1970-ᖏᓐᓂᑦ ᐱᒋᐊᖅᑐᑎ, ᑕᕐᕆᔮᔅᓴᓕᐅᖅᑏᑦ ᑕᕐᕆᔮᓕᐅᖅᓯᒪᕗᑦ ᓂᐱᓕᐅᕆᓯᒪᕗᑦ ᐃᓄᐃᑦ ᐱᕙᓪᓕᐊᓕᕐᓂᖏᓐᓂᑦ; ᐊᒻᒪᓗ ᐃᓄᐃᑦ ᑕᕝᕙᐅᓪᓗᑎ ᐊᔾᔨᓕᐅᕆᓯᒪᕗᑦ — ᐃᓄᐃᑦ ᐃᓱᒪᔾᔪᓯᖏᑎᒍᑦ. ᐊᔾᔨᓕᐅᕆᓯᒪᓂᖏᑦ ᐊᑯᖅᓯᓯᒪᕗᑦ ᕿᒧᔅᓯᖃᑦᑕᖅᑐᒥᓂᕐᓂᑦ ᑎᑭᐅᑎᓪᓗᑎ ᐅᖄᓚᐅᑎᕋᓛᖃᓕᖅᑎᓪᓗᒋᑦ; ᐊᕕᑦᑎᓪᓗᒋᒃ ᓄᓇᕗᒃᑯᒃ ᓄᓇᑦᓯᐊᕐᒥᑦ, ᑲᓇᑕᓗᑦᑖᒥᑦ ᐃᓄᐃᑦ ᑲᑐᔾᔨᖃᑎᒌᖏᑦ ᐱᓐᖑᖅᑎᑕᐅᑎᓪᓗᒋᑦ, ᐃᓱᒪᔾᔪᑕᐅᓯᒪᔪᑦ ᐃᓄᓐᓄᑦ ᓄᓇᑖᕈᑎᖓᑦ ᐊᑎᓕᐅᖅᑕᐅᑎᓪᓗᒍ, ᓄᓇᕗᑦ ᐱᓐᖑᖅᑎᓪᓗᒍ, ᐊᒻᒪᓗ ᒐᕙᒪᑖᖅᐸᓪᓕᐊᑎᓪᓗᒋᑦ, ᐊᕙᑎᑦᑎᓐᓂᑦ ᐃᓄᓕᕆᓂᒃᑯᑦ ᐱᖅᑯᓯᓕᕆᓂᒃᑯᑦ ᐱᕙᓪᓕᐊᓕᖅᑎᓪᓗᒋᑦ — ᑐᖅᑯᖅᑕᐅᓯᒪᔪᑦ ᐊᑐᖅᓯᒪᔪᓂᑦ ᐃᖅᑲᓇᐃᔮᖏᑦ ᐊᔾᔨᐅᖏᑦᑑᕗᑦ.
ᑕᑯᓐᓇᒐᕆᔭᖅ ᐃᓄᓐᓄᑦ ᑕᑯᕋᓐᓈᒐᕐᓂᑦ ᐊᒻᒪᓗ ᑕᕐᕆᔮᓂᑦ ᑐᖅᑯᐃᕕᒻᒧᑦ
ᐃᓂᖃᕐᕕᐅᔪᖅ ᐃᓄᐃᑦ ᑕᑯᓐᓇᕋᒃᓴᓕᕆᔨᑦ ᑲᓇᑕᒥ ᑲᑎᖅᓱᒐᖏᑦ, ᐊᓯᖏᓐᓄᓪᓗ ᐃᓛᑎᒍᑦ ᑲᑎᖅᓱᒐᕆᔭᑦ ᑎᒍᒥᐊᖅᑎᐅᔪᓄᑦ ᐃᓄᓐᓂᑦ ᑕᑯᕋᓐᓈᒐᑦ ᐊᒻᒪᓗ ᑕᕐᕆᔮᑦ ᐃᒪᐃᑦᑐᓐᓇᖅᐳᑦ:
- ᐸᐸᓐᓂᐊᖅᑕᐅᖁᓪᓗᒋᑦ ᖃᕋᓴᐅᔭᒃᑰᓕᖓᓕᖅᑎᓪᓗᒋᑦ,
- ᑕᐅᑦᑐᒃᑯᑦ ᐊᒻᒪᓗ ᖃᕋᓴᐅᔭᒃᑯᑎᒍᑦ ᓴᐳᑎᓗᒋᑦ,
- ᒥᐊᓂᕆᔭᐅᓗᑎ ᐃᓕᓐᓂᐊᖅᓯᒪᔪᒧᑦ ᑐᖅᑯᐃᔨᒧᑦ,
- ᐃᓄᓕᒫᓄᑦ ᓴᖅᑭᐅᒪᑎᓪᓗᒋᑦ,
- ᐊᑐᐃᓐᓇᐅᑎᓪᓗᒋᑦ ᐊᒻᒪᓗ ᕿᓂᕋᔅᓴᐅᓗᑎ ᐃᑭᐊᖅᑭᔾᔪᑦ ᑐᑦᑕᕕᖓᑎᒍᑦ, ᐊᒻᒪᓗ
- ᐊᑐᐃᓐᓇᐅᒪᐃᓐᓇᕐᓗᑎ ᐊᒻᒪᓗ ᖃᑯᑎᒃᑯᑦ ᐃᓕᓐᓂᐊᕈᑕᐅᕙᓪᓗᑎ ᐊᒻᒪᓗ ᐊᓯᖏᓐᓄᑦ ᐊᑑᑎᖃᖅᐸᓪᓗᑎ.
ᐃᓄᐃᑦ ᑕᑯᕋᓐᓈᒐᑦ ᐊᒻᒪᓗ ᑕᕐᕆᔮᑦ ᑐᖅᑯᐃᕕᖓᓂᑦ ᑎᒍᓯᕕᒋᔪᓐᓇᖅᐸᑎᑦ ᓇᓕᐊᒍᑦ ᐅᑯᑎᑐᓇ:
- ᕿᒥᕐᕈᓗᒋᑦ ᐃᓄᐃᑦ ᑕᑯᓐᓇᕋᒃᓴᓕᕆᔨᒃᑯᑦ ᑲᓇᑕᒥ ᐃᖏᕐᕋᑎᑕᒐᓕᐊᕆᓯᒪᔭᖏᑦ (500-ᖑᔪᑦ) ᐃᓄᐃᑦ ᑕᑯᓐᓇᕋᒃᓴᓕᕆᔨᒃᑯᑦ ᑲᓇᑕᒥ ᐃᓱᒪ ᑕᓚᕖᓴᒃᑯᖏᑎᒍᑦ: www.Isuma.TV/IBC – www.isuma.tv/takuginai-web-series – YouTube
- ᐃᓄᐃᑦ ᑕᑯᓐᓇᕋᒃᓴᓕᕆᔨᒃᑯᑦ ᑲᓇᑕᒥ ᑕᑯᕋᓐᓈᕐᓗᒋᑦ ᓄᑖᖑᓂᖅᓴᐃᑦ ᓄᓇᖃᖅᑳᖅᑐᑦ ᑕᓚᕖᓴᒃᑯᖏᑎᒍᑦ, www.APTN.ca/shows/.
- ᐅᐸᓪᓗᒍ ᓄᓇᕗᒻᒥᑦ ᑐᓴᒐᒃᓴᕐᓂᐊᕐᕕᒃᓴᖅ ᐊᒻᒪᓗ ᑕᑯᕋᓐᓈᒐᕐᓄᑦ ᐅᐸᑲᖅᑕᕐᕕᒃ ᐃᖃᓗᓐᓂᑦ, ᓄᓇᕗᒻᒥᑦ ᑐᖅᑯᐃᔨ ᖃᐅᔨᒋᐊᕐᕕᒋᓗᒍ, ᑭᒃᑯᑐᐃᓐᓇᕐᓅᖓᔪᑦ ᖃᕋᓴᐅᔭᖅ ᐊᑐᕐᓗᒍ ᕿᓂᔭᓪᓗᑎᑦ ᑕᕐᕆᔮᑦ ᑎᑎᖅᑐᐃᕕᖏᑎᒍᑦ ᐅᕝᕙᓗᑭᐊᖅ ᖃᕋᓴᐅᔭᒃᑯᑦ ᑕᕐᕆᔮᑦ ᐊᓚᒃᑲᐅᒪᔪᑦ (ᐊᑭᖃᓐᖏᑦᑐᑦ).
- ᑐᓂᕐᕈᑎᖃᕐᓗᑎᑦ ᕿᓂᕈᑎᒥ ᑐᔅᓯᕋᐅᑎᒥᑦ ᐃᖏᕐᕋᑎᑕᒐᓕᐊᖑᓯᒪᔪᒥᑦ (ᐊᑭᖃᓐᖏᑦᑐᒧᑦ), ᐊᒻᒪᓗ ᐊᔾᔨᓕᐊᖑᒃᑲᕐᓗᒍ (ᐊᑭᓕᒻᒧᑦ). ᑐᔅᓯᕋᐅᑎ ᑕᑕᑎᕆᔾᔪᑦ
ᖃᐅᔨᒪᔾᔪᑎ: 2016-ᒥᑦ 2017-ᒧᑦ, ᐃᓄᐃᑦ ᑕᑯᓐᓇᕋᒃᓴᓕᕆᔨᒃᑯᑦ ᑲᓇᑕᒥ ᐅᐸᓗᖓᐃᔭᕈᑎᖃᖅᑯᑦ ᓴᖅᑮᓛᖅᑐᑎ ᖃᕋᓴᐅᔭᒃᑯᑦ ᐴᖅᑐᐃᕕᒻᒥᑦ ᕿᓂᕈᑕᐅᖃᑦᑕᕈᒫᖅᑐᖅ ᑎᑎᖅᑐᖅᑕᐅᓯᒪᔪᓂᑦ ᐊᒻᒪᓗ ᑕᕐᕆᔮᓂᑦ ᕿᒥᕐᕈᔾᔪᑎᒥᑦ.
ᐃᓕᓴᖅᓯᔾᔪᑎ ᖁᔭᒋᔪᒪᕙᕗᑦ ᐅᑯᐊ ᑮᓇᐅᔭᖃᖅᑎᑦᑎᓂᖏᓐᓄᑦ ᐱᓐᖑᖅᐸᓪᓕᐊᓕᖅᑎᓪᓗᒍ ᐃᓄᐃᑦ ᑕᑯᕋᓐᓈᒐᑦ ᐊᒻᒪᓗ ᑕᕐᕆᔮᖅ ᑐᖅᑯᐃᕕᖓᑦ:
- ᑲᓇᑕᒥ ᒐᕙᒪᑐᖃᒃᑯᑦ
- ᓄᓇᕗᑦ ᒐᕙᒪᖓᑦ
- ᑲᑎᕙᒃ ᑲᑐᔾᔨᖃᑎᒌᖓᑦ
- ᑲᑐᔾᔨᖃᑎᒌᑦ ᐅᖃᐅᓯᕐᓄᑦ ᐊᓯᐅᒋᐊᑭᑦᑐᓄᑦ
ᖁᔭᒋᔪᒪᕙᕗᓪᓗ ᐃᓄᐃᑦ ᑕᑯᕋᓐᓈᒐᑦ ᐊᒻᒪᓗ ᑕᕐᕆᔮᑦ ᑐᖅᑯᐃᕕᒻᒧᑦ ᑲᑎᒪᔨᕋᓛᖏᑦ ᐊᒻᒪᓗ ᑲᑐᔾᔨᖃᑎᒌᖏᑦ ᐱᕕᖃᖅᑎᑦᑎᓯᒪᓂᖏᓐᓂᑦ , ᐃᓱᒪᔅᓴᖅᓯᐅᕈᑎᒋᓯᒪᔭᖏᓐᓄᑦ ᐊᒻᒪᓗ ᐃᑲᔪᖅᑐᐃᖏᓐᓇᕐᓂᖏᓐᓄᑦ.